STGi is currently seeking a Phlebotomist/Laboratory Technician to provide services at our Community Based Outpatient Clinic. The general duty of the Phlebotomist is to provide phlebotomy services as well as administrative/clerical support for the Community Based Outpatient Clinic (CBOC).
- Perform a full range of phlebotomist duties to include proper venipuncture and finger-stick and heel-stick procedures using appropriate techniques, and perform set-up and completion of special test-related phlebotomy procedures utilizing appropriate techniques. Ensure that all aspects of patient accessioning, specimen collection, processing, and distribution are performed properly.
- Conduct patient in-processing prior to specimen collection, including review of paperwork accompanying patients and cordial guidance and assistance.
- Assemble equipment, such as tourniquet, needles, and disposable containers for needles, blood collection devices, gauze, cotton, and alcohol on work tray, according to requirements for specified tests or procedures.
- Verify or record identity of patient or donor and converses with patient or donor to allay fear of procedure and conduct interviews, take vital signs, and draw and test blood samples to screen donors at blood bank.
- If applicable, provide technical oversight and training to ensure that all invasive procedures (venipuncture, capillary puncture, clotting time, etc.) performed in the laboratory are done in the safest, most sanitary, and expeditious manner, with minimal discomfort for the patient.
- Perform phlebotomy-related administrative and clerical procedures of the Front Desk Section of the lab and fully document all samples obtained per the laboratory’s standard operating procedures; maintain the supply inventory and cleanliness of the front desk and phlebotomy area.
- Perform non-phlebotomy-related administrative and clerical support in various areas of the clinic as needed (front desk, exam rooms, Telehealth, etc.).
- Provide instruction on patient centered specimen collection (24-hour urine, occult blood testing, semen analysis, etc) and special requirements necessary for laboratory-collected specimens (fasting requirements, special diets, etc.).
- Demonstrate knowledge of all aspects of phlebotomy and collection of adequate clinical specimens and utilize “age-specific” techniques to obtain specimens from infants and the elderly, if applicable.
- Demonstrate knowledge of the type and severity of patient reactions, including, but not limited to, syncope, vomiting, and unconsciousness and the procedures for such instances. Counsel patients on care of post-phlebotomy complications (i.e. hematomas).
- Provides general clerical/administrative support coordination work for the unit..
- Perform other work related duties.
- Minimum of two (2) years of current clinical experience working in a similar environment as a phlebotomist.
- Possess and maintains a current certification and registration as a Phlebotomy Technician from the American Society of Clinical Pathology (PBT-ASCP), or a current certification and registration as a Phlebotomy Technician from the American Medical Technologist (RPT-AMT).
- Possess Basic Life Support (BLS)/Cardiopulmonary Resuscitation (CPR).
- Possess knowledge of medical terminology, allowing test requests and results to be understood and communicated.
- Knowledge of the type and severity of patient reactions, including, but not limited to, syncope, vomiting, and unconsciousness and the procedures for such instances.
- Must have exceptional diplomatic communication skills and experience in handling difficult customer situations.
- Must be detailed oriented and have the ability to multi-task.
All covered STGi employees. ("Covered" is defined as healthcare workers in CA, NY, NGA contract support staff) must be fully vaccinated, including booster shot for CA staff, against COVID-19 unless a reasonable accommodation is approved.
STGi is a workforce solutions company providing comprehensive healthcare delivery, Head Start and management consulting services and human capital solutions help our clients. Our services and solutions help our clients sustain and enhance their operations to better accomplish their mission.
STGi offers a competitive benefits package which includes Medical, Dental, Vision, 401k with company match and a generous PTO policy.
STGi is committed to hiring and retaining a diverse workforce. We are proud to be an Equal Opportunity/Affirmative Action Employer, making decisions without regard to race, color, religion, creed, sex, sexual orientation, gender identity, marital status, national origin, age, veteran status, disability, or any other protected class.