This job is archived
The ICU Registered Nurse has the responsibility and accountability for assessing patient/family health problems and resources, taking a leadership role in the planning, implementation and evaluation of the nursing plan of care provided by the nursing team. Providing technical nursing are and interventions to a designated patient populations. Per the Departments Scope of Practice, this position requires providing services to ICU patients of all ages in a manner that demonstrates an understanding of the functional/developmental age of the individuals served. This position requires the full understanding and active participation in fulfilling the Mission of CHRISTUS St. Frances Cabrini Hospital. It is expected that the associate demonstrate behavior consistent with the Core Values. The associate shall support the CHRISTUS St. Frances Cabrini's strategic plan and the goals and direction of their Performance Improvement Plan (PIP)
Customer Focus -- Building strong customer relationships and delivering customer-centric solutions.
Communicates Effectively -- Developing and delivering multi-mode communications that convey a clear understanding of the unique needs of different audiences.
Decision Quality -- Making good and timely decisions that keep the organization moving forward.
Collaborates -- Building partnerships and working collaboratively with others to meet shared objectives.
Nimble Learning -- Actively learning through experimentation when tackling new problems, using both successes and failures as learning fodder.
Demonstrates Self-Awareness -- Using a combination of feedback and reflection to gain productive insight into personal strengths and weaknesses.
Goals -- Completes quarterly goals
Delivering the Mission -- Performs duties as defined in this job description and demonstrates mastery of role.
- Assesses the physical, psycho-social, spiritual, cultural, functional, and high-risk and discharge needs of the patient and family.
- Completes and documents initial assessment/care within required time frames.
- Performs, reassessments/care at intervals as required or appropriate to the patient's needs.
- Ensures physical assessment/care includes all major body systems.
- Ensures spiritual assessment/care includes actual/expressed needs.
- Incorporates cultural and ethnic factors into assessment/care.
- Correctly differentiates between normal and abnormal findings.
- Demonstrates critical telemetry skills in the delivery of patient care.
- Performs wound care & dressing change according to patient need and policy.
- Changes tube feeding delivery system according to policy.
- Demonstrates the ability to accurately access and document patient care activities and hospital processes.
- Uses computer system(s) appropriately.
- Documents in the medical record according to policy/procedure.
- Complies with incident reporting and notification requirements.
- Obtains knowledge of and demonstrates compliance with Infection Control policies and procedures.
- Practices Standard Precautions in patient care activities.
- Practices appropriate disease specific isolation as required.
- Appropriately handles and disposes of sharps.
- Disposes of waste appropriately in red bag.
- Follows policy and procedure for care and change of intravenous systems.
- Provides for the education/training of the patient/family.
- Identifies barriers to learning.
- Provides teaching based on identified needs.
- Evaluates the effectiveness of instruction provided.
- Assures that assessment and teaching incorporates cultural and ethnic needs.
- Assures that assessment and teaching incorporates functional needs.
- Develops, implements, and evaluates a nursing plan of care for the patient/family.
- Develops and implements the plan of care based on assessment findings.
- Establishes the plan of care within time frame specific to the assigned department/unit.
- Re-evaluates and modifies the plan of care based on the patient's response to the interventions.
- Communicates the plan of care to members of the nursing team.
- Prioritizes and delegates patient care activities based on patient assessment and staff capabilities when in charge.
- Appropriately coordinates and/or delegates aspects of the plan of care when in charge role.
- Involves the patient/family in development of the plan of care.
- Demonstrates sound clinical judgment in decision making regarding patient care.
- Incorporates the plan for nursing care into the multidisciplinary care and management of the patient/family.
- Communicates effectively with physicians and allied health team.
- Coordinates nursing care with other disciplines involved.
- Involves allied health team members as necessary.
- Actively participates in multidisciplinary care conferences in charge nurse role.
- Assures that the rights of the patient/family are respected and maintained.
- Allows for privacy and modesty in the provision of care.
- Identifies self by name and title to the patient/family (uses AIDET).
- Reports suspected cases of abuse/neglect if identified.
- Understands role of, and how to access the Ethics Committee.
- Establishes presence of consent prior to treatment/procedure.
- Ensures confidentiality of patient record.
- Demonstrates the ability to safely and competently administer medications, intravenous therapy and basic fluid management.
- Understand actions, side-effects, contra-indications of drugs.
- Follows five "rights" of medication administration.
- Adheres to medication policies, practices and standards.
- Administers medication, intravenous therapy and fluid management only under physician order and guidance.
- Demonstrates knowledge of unit specific policies and procedures and the ability to safely and competently use unit specific patient care equipment in the delivery of quality patient care.
- Completes Unit Specific Annual Competency Checklist
- Obtains necessary training prior to initial equipment use.
- Assures equipment is in operating order prior to use and maintains with appropriate care.
- Differentiates between patient complications and equipment malfunction.
- Uses medical equipment in accordance with manufacturer's operating guidelines.
- Demonstrates initiative in clinical practice and supporting departmental operations.
- Accountable in ensuring patient needs are met and notifies charge nurse of acute/changing patient care situations and follows up as needed with appropriate disciplines.
- Ensures patient environment is neat, orderly and stocked appropriately.
- Assists co-workers with higher acuity patients when time permits.
- Assists charge nurses with maintaining departmental cleanliness and organization of work areas including appropriate disposition of equipment.
- Demonstrates proper maintenance and storage of medication and supplies.
- Ensures medications are secured at all times.
- Ensures excess/unused supplies are not left in patient rooms.
- Ensures proper crediting of unused medication and supplies.
- Demonstrates professional responsibility in carrying out charge nurse duties.
- Works with manager to ensure appropriate staffing levels.
- Communicates with associates and internal and external associates in professional manner.
- Assists in ensuring that TJC standards are met on a departmental level.
- Behaviors promote an environment in which departmental operations are effectively and efficiently carried out.
- Demonstrates efficiency in triaging beds to facilitate availability critical care beds.
- A. Education/Skills:
- B. Experience:
- One year recent experience preferred. Excellent written and verbal communication skills. English required, bilingual (English/Spanish; English/French) preferred
- C. Licenses, Registrations or Certification:
- Current Louisiana RN License.
- Current BLS Card