Holy Name Medical Center
Holy Name Medical Center
At Holy Name Medical Center, we understand that the quality of the care and services we provide are a direct result of the talented staff we employ. Therefore, we seek prospective employees who will help us continue our tradition of providing superior health care and services to our patients, guests and industry partners. In turn, Holy Name shows its employees how much they are valued by offering benefits and amenities aimed at improving quality of life as well as empowering them to use their skills, think creatively, learn, and advance professionally.
Successful candidates will be eligible for our generous "Transition Allowance"
Please check our website @ www.holyname.org for Total Rewards Package details
Located just 11 miles outside of New York City, Teaneck, New Jersey is a beautiful, diverse suburban community. Holy Name Medical Center is a comprehensive, 361-bed hospital offering leading-edge medical practice and technology administered in an environment rooted in a tradition of compassion and respect for every patient. Holy Name provides high quality health care across a continuum that encompasses education, prevention, early intervention, treatment options, rehabilitation and wellness maintenance. The hospital offers a robust roster of primary care and specialty physicians, and its Sister Claire Tynan School of Nursing provides academically competitive registered nurse and licensed practical nurse education programs.
Ranked among the top hospitals in New Jersey and the nation for patient care, clinical performance, consumer value and workplace excellence, Holy Name has been recognized by NJBIZ's as one of the "Best Places to Work in New Jersey" every year since 2006 - the only hospital to have earned this honor. The hospital is fully accredited by The Joint Commission, is Magnet-recognized by the American Nurses Credentialing Center, consistently earns Hospital Safety Grade A scores from Leapfrog Group, and is a national model for culturally sensitive care.
Holy Name is a mission-driven facility whose quality standards and philosophy are rooted in the principles of its founders, the Sisters of St. Joseph of Peace. Those principles are exercised daily by the hospital's dedicated and talented team of physicians, nurses, allied health employees, and a wide variety of non-clinical administrative and operational staff members.
At Holy Name, we celebrate our differences. We provide an inclusive, culturally sensitive environment where patients, visitors, and staff at all levels are valued for who they are and the perspective they bring to our community. All who come through our doors receive the same respect regardless of sexual orientation, gender, gender identity and expression, race, ethnicity, immigration status, socioeconomic background, disability, and age.
Recognizing the need to serve the sick and indigent of the community, Dr. Frank McCormack and Dr. George Pitkin appealed to Mother General Agatha Brown of the Sisters of St. Joseph of Peace for help in finding a suitable hospital site and in providing administrative and nursing staffs. The Sisters of St. Joseph of Peace had been a presence in New Jersey since 1885, one year after the order was founded in England with the goal of fostering worldwide peace and justice.
The Sisters purchased the estate of the late William Walter Phelps and erected the hospital, staffing it with members of their Order. They also welcomed their first class of students to the School of Nursing only weeks before the hospital opened. When the first patient, a woman with acute appendicitis, came through the hospital doors in October 1925, Holy Name had 115 beds and less than a dozen physicians. Only five years later, a unit with 70 beds was built to meet the needs of area residents who had been impoverished by the Great Depression.
Teaneck was little more than a rural village then; in all of Bergen County there were some 250,000 inhabitants. With the completion of the George Washington Bridge in 1931 and Route 4 only a few years later, the familiar cornfields and apple orchards began to disappear. A surge of development followed World War II, and the area soon became a prosperous residential and business community.
Holy Name thrived as well. In 1955 the hospital completed its second addition: the four-story 110-bed Marian Pavilion. Less than 10 years later, Holy Name added to the Pavilion; first with two stories that housed three units and then three additional floors on the other side of the building.
Increasing patient demand continued to accelerate Holy Name's growth, leading to another major expansion project. By the late 1970's, the Hospital had added two more nursing units and the main building that serves as the centerpiece of the campus today. With each advancement, Holy Name has grown, not only in size but in reputation. Among the specialized services are the Patricia Lynch Cancer Center, the Alfiero and Lucia Palestroni Foundation Multiple Sclerosis Center, the Russell Berrie Institute for Simulation Learning, and the Institute for Clinical Research.
Holy Name Medical Center is still sponsored by the Sisters of St. Joseph of Peace and remains committed to a ministry of healing. It continues to take innovative steps to remain a fully accredited, dynamic medical center by implementing advanced technologies and best practices in patient care, facilities management and emergency preparedness. These pursuits for new advances will always be accompanied by an unwavering commitment to superior patient care in a culturally sensitive environment - the hallmark of Holy Name Medical Center.