This job is archived
PrimeCare Medical, Inc. (PCM) has been in operation since 1986. We are a private, physician-founded, nationally accredited correctional health care practice.
PCM provides comprehensive medical & mental health care services to over 80 county jails, prisons, and juvenile detention centers; throughout the states of PA, MD, WV, NY, & NH.
Correctional medicine is a unique, challenging, and exciting opportunity for today’s medical professional in that it provides the ability to truly utilize all of your learned medical skills and knowledge on a daily basis. Correctional health care is the perfect hybrid of Primary Care, Urgent Care, Emergency Medicine, and Addiction Medicine; serving an underserved and extremely diverse patient population.
We are presently seeking a Full-Time Travel, Nurse Practitioner (NP) to work in the medical departments at the Monroe County Jail (i.e., Rochester, NY), Livingston County Jail (i.e. Geneseo, NY), and the Niagara County Jail (i.e., Lockport, NY).
This is a 40 hour/week position, Monday’s – Friday’s, during normal business hours (i.e. no weekends required, but available if desired). The right candidate for this opportunity must be willing to share his/her time between all 3 of these locations, and does require regular travel.
To quickly summary some key points:
- Salaries are negotiable and commensurate based on experience,
- Partial company-paid family health care benefits offered,
- Company-paid life insurance provided,
- Retirement benefits (i.e. 401k with discretionary company match) available,
- Company-paid liability insurance (including tail) included,
- Generous PTO vacation plan provided,
- Annual licensure reimbursement offered, and more.
In this role the NP will be performing physical examinations on all newly incarcerated inmates/patients, as well as evaluating sick inmates/patients, and present your observations to the attending physician.
You will be responsible for performing a variety of duties such as suturing and administering injections and medications, drawing blood samples, and evaluate of diagnostic findings. Other responsibilities will include:
- Ensuring complete, accurate and timely medical entries are made for each inmate/patient contact.
- Providing counseling and education on common medical problems.
- Performing histories and physicals on all newly committed inmates/patients in accordance with NCCHC/ACA Standards, facility requirements, and PCM policies and procedures.
- Complying with standards of care in accordance with NCCHC/ACA and accepted healthcare standards.
- Developing and conducting in-service education programs according to annual in-service calendar, as assigned by PCM Medical Director and/or Administrator.
- Reviewing inmate/patient records to determine health status and initiate necessary treatment.
- Screening inmate/patient sick call requests to determine appropriate follow up care.
- Evaluating inmate/patients at sick call for common complaints.
- Ordering appropriate laboratory tests and X-rays.
- Ordering specialty consultations when indicated.
- Providing other services as required at the request of the PCM Medical Director and/or Administrator.
- Providing ongoing, continuous care for inmates/patients with chronic medical problems such as asthma, hypertension, and diabetes.
- Collecting specimens for and carrying out commonly performed blood, urine, and stool analyses and cultures.
- Evaluating and initiating treatment in emergency situations such as cardiac arrest, respiratory distress, hemorrhage, burns, and injuries.
- Prescribing therapeutic modalities such as medications and diets in accordance with regulations.
This position is exciting and fast paced, and as such we must have someone who is able to multi-task well and has excellent time management skills. They must also have the ability to work independently and be comfortable with making patient diagnosis on their own.
- Graduate of an accredited Nurse Practitioner program.
- Board Certified.
- Licensed to practice as a NP within the State of New York.
- Maintain a current DEA number & ability to prescribe medications in West Virginia.
- Active Buprenorphine Waiver/X-Waiver preferred.
- Maintain a current Driver’s License & Willing to travel.
- Excellent verbal and written communication skills.
- Strong clinical skills and ability to work independently are a must.
We’re committed to managing and reducing risk in correctional healthcare by providing cost-effective quality healthcare management, continuously improving the standards of care.
Dedicated to correctional healthcare, PCM prides itself on our strong client relationships, effective and efficient management of healthcare services. These attributes continue to be the hallmark of our success. With new contracts established regularly, opportunities for development and advancement are ample.
PCM utilizes a proprietary EMR system customized to our practice, and specifically designed for correctional healthcare. Said technology is user-friendly, intuitive, and always available. At PCM, we’re dedicated to your long-term success and foster this by providing individually catered training to every one of our providers. We teach you how to document in real-time and tactfully structure our call requirements, to ensure that you’re life outside of your career is focused on the things that truly matter.
To learn more about why PrimeCare Medical, Inc. is The Choice for Quality Correctional Health Care, please apply today to schedule a phone interview. We’re ready to speak with you about joining our PrimeCare Medical family!